409 Franklin St
3-16-04

 

How does this

Become This ?

 

 

Prior  to Fire Co. arrival

 

 Photo's By Christopher A. Stanley/The Reporter

Back

At 5:24 p.m. the Fairmount Fire Co received a call at 406 Franklin st. Lansdale Boro. The Caller stated the drapes were on fire in the living room. Lansdale police arrived on the scene approximately 2 minutes later and reported flames showing from the front of the building. When Squad 14 arrived on the scene there was heavy fire showing from the front and side of the building. The first photo shows how far the fire had progressed, this photo was taken before the fire co arrived. The fire was extinguished by 5:47 p.m., but the living room, dining room, and kitchen were destroyed. Also the fire had worked its way down the hallway to the rear bedrooms.

Chief Daveler interviewed the home owner and was informed of the following events that lead up to this fire.

While cooking dinner a pot caught fire on the stove in the kitchen, and there was no apparent spread of the fire. A window was opened at the front of the house, and also a window was opened at the rear of the house to let the smoke out. While in the back bedroom, the occupant saw a candle that had been burning in the living room set fire to the drapes. The drapes were being blow into the living room by a draft that was caused by the front and back windows being opened (Cross Ventilation). This left the candle set fire to the drapes, and the windows being opened, helped the fire spread very fast thru the structure. At this time the fire company was called.

This was written not to criticize anyone, but to point out what can go wrong when a fire strikes your home.  Never open windows or doors to let the smoke out, the fire company will do that when they know the fire is out. Evacuate everyone from the house immediately! The fire company should also be called  immediately. Don't be afraid to call your fire company even if you think the fire is out. Your Fire Company will come out and check it for you, the volunteer fire service is one thing that is still free!

                                                                                                                                     Jay Daveler
                                                                                                                                     Chief
                                                                                                                                     Fairmount Fire Co